June 22, 2012

#WWReadathon: Update on Day #2 and Challenge


Yesterday went pretty much as expected for me during the Read-a-Thon. I was able to read another ARC that I've been dying to read - Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard. I feel pretty good that I've read 2 books in 2 days! I'm definitely hitting my personal goals. I'm still in a reading rut though so I'm not sure what I'll read next. I hope everyone else is reading lots and hitting their goals too!


Sonnets and Serenades Challenge
Hosted by Amanda @ Letters Inside Out


The Challenge:
I challenge you to write an original love poem or song to or from a book character! (It can be written to a character, from a character to another character, from the character to you, from the character to me…) It can be “hot”, “sweet”, funny, or whatever! (I want to swoon…or laugh, as the case may be.)
There is no set length, but it is going to be judged so keep that into consideration!
I have a team of swoon-ready judges that will be selecting the best poem/song. If there’s a tie and we can’t agree, we’ll use Random.org to choose from our favorites.


My Sonnet

My dear and darling daughter,
I wish the world could see
that beneath your gown and beauty
lies strength and bravery.

People shrink away at your scars
saying that you are cursed,
But you will soon come to know
how much you have been blessed.

More power than you imagine
have I bestowed upon thee,
Powers to poison, harm, and kill
but also the power for healing and mercy.

My dear and darling daughter,
the world is cruel and unfair.
But with these gifts I have given
your beauty and strength will prevail.  

This poem is written to Ismae from St. Mortain - from Grave Mercy

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this book yet, but this is such a beautiful poem... :3 well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really loved Grave Mercy - it's one of the best books I've read so far this year. I highly recommend it. You can check out my review of it under the 'My Reviews' page.

      Delete