March 31, 2013

Book Review: Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Mila 2.0 (Mila 2.0 #1)
Author: Debra Driza
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Fantasy
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Description:

Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity-style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.
  



Mila 2.0 was an edgy science fiction novel that far exceeded my expectations. It follows Mila as she and her mother have to relocate to the small town in Minnesota after the fire that killed her father. She's having some trouble adjusting to the change, but finally makes a connection with a cute new guy when things go terribly wrong. After a car accident one day after school, Mila discovers the dark secret her mother has been keeping from her: she isn't really a girl at all but an android developed to blend in with teenage girls without detection. The woman she thought was her mother is really one of the scientists who helped create her and her father - along with his death - and  the rest of Mila's memories were all implanted into her. Now the government has found their hiding spot and they will stop at nothing until Mila is back at the compound and her mother is punished for stealing her. Even though Mila's world is crashing down around her and the android functions that were suppressed are now coming out - she still can't shake the gut feeling that she's more than just a robot. She's a girl with real feelings and emotions. She needs to keep her mother and herself safe at all costs - even if it means using becoming more android than human.

This was a truly unique and fantastically imagined science fiction novel. I didn't think I would be able to connect with a main character who was a robot - but I instantly liked Mila. She was full of pain over her father's death and she was dealing with so many typical teen problems - a new school, making friends, crushing on a guy, etc. When she found out the truth about herself, I was just as confused and crushed as she was. I felt like I was riding on the same emotional roller coaster with her - experiencing each up and down in her life right alongside her. She was a really strong female lead that didn't give up and showed great amounts of courage and growth. I'm eager to see how she will grow further in the next book. The plot was fast paced and I literally couldn't put the book down. It was full of action, adventure, fantasy and even a bit of romance. There were so many different genres being blended that it's hard to label this novel as just one kind. I liked that it mixed so many different concepts and ideas into one thrilling book. The writing was exceptional and shows that the author has true talent. There was a part at the end of the book that I really hated (those of you who have read the book know what I'm referring to), but other than that - I thought it was a captivating and adrenaline filled novel. I am already eagerly awaiting the next book in the series so I can see where Mila and the story goes from here. I highly recommend this book for fans of well written novels of all genres. This was a thrilling first book in what promises to be a truly fantastic series!

 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have seen some mixed reviews of this one but, I have loved science fiction so I think I will enjoy this one. Thanks for your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for this one. I love when I'm able to feel the character's emotions with them.

    ReplyDelete