Welcome to my stop on the Kalahari Safari! If you’re new to the Safari, check in at Base Camp to learn what it’s about and how you can win!
From the Author:
Here are five fascinating facts about the Kalahari:
- While there is no surface water in the Kalahari (besides puddles created during the rainy season), this semi-desert actually sits on top of several massive reservoirs of water. Plans were once made to access this water and make the desert arable, but they were never carried out.
- The Kalahari is rich with diamonds—some of the world’s largest diamond mines are found in the area. Sadly, this may be one of the reasons for the eviction of many San tribes who dwelt there.
- “Kalahari” is a derivative of the Twsala word “Kgalagadi,” meaning “Great Thirst.”
- The San Bushmen are considered to be the oldest surviving culture in the world, but the infringement of the outside world has put their traditional lifestyle in danger of being lost.
- The Kalahari is the setting for several popular films/books, including The Gods Must be Crazy, the TV show Meerkat Manor, and The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.
Sarah’s number is:
Complete the challenges below (the more you complete the higher your chances of winning a big prize!) and then head back to Base Camp and on to the next challenge!