July 16, 2015

Review: The Fold by Peter Clines

The Fold
Author: Peter Clines
Genre: Science Fiction/Horror
Release Date: June 2, 2015
Publisher: Crown

Description:

STEP INTO THE FOLD.
IT’S PERFECTLY SAFE.
The folks in Mike Erikson's small New England town would say he's just your average, everyday guy. And that's exactly how Mike likes it. Sure, the life he's chosen isn’t much of a challenge to someone with his unique gifts, but he’s content with his quiet and peaceful existence.

That is, until an old friend presents him with an irresistible mystery, one that Mike is uniquely qualified to solve: far out in the California desert, a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device they affectionately call the Albuquerque Door. Using a cryptic computer equation and magnetic fields to “fold” dimensions, it shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step.

The invention promises to make mankind’s dreams of teleportation a reality. And, the scientists insist, traveling through the Door is completely safe.

Yet evidence is mounting that this miraculous machine isn’t quite what it seems—and that its creators are harboring a dangerous secret.

As his investigations draw him deeper into the puzzle, Mike begins to fear there’s only one answer that makes sense. And if he’s right, it may only be a matter of time before the project destroys…everything.

A cunningly inventive mystery featuring a hero worthy of Sherlock Holmes and a terrifying final twist you’ll never see coming, The Fold is that rarest of things: a genuinely page-turning science-fiction thriller. Step inside its pages and learn why author Peter Clines has already won legions of loyal fans.
 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23164927-the-fold?ac=1

The Fold is like nothing I've read before - in the best of ways. Even now, a couple of weeks after finishing it, I'm having a really hard time trying to write this review. I'm going to start by saying that I don't normally read a lot of science fiction. It's not that I don't like the genre - it's just not one of my favorites. The description of this book drew me to it like a magnet though, and although it claimed to be science fiction, I knew I had to read it. I'm so incredibly glad that I did! It far surpassed any kind of expectations or hopes I may have had - and then it proceeded to keep going until it blew my mind.

This novel is one of the most original and unique stories I've come across in my entire life. I honestly am at a loss as to what to say about it. It's one of those books that isn't a story to read - it's an experience. The characters were all well rounded, especially our main character, Mike. He was written with all the complexities of a real person, complete with a distinct personality, quirks, traits, and habits (to name a few things). I enjoyed getting to know Mike's character throughout the book and to see how he was effected by the situations he was thrown into and his reactions to the increasing strangeness around him. I found it interesting that the author gave him an eidetic memory - it was a bit of a curveball, but it didn't negatively effect my reading experience. I actually found it incredibly fascinating and loved learning everything I could about it, as well as Mike's strange descriptions and feelings - like all of the ants inside his head.

The plot was nothing short of phenomenal. There's so much that happens during the story that it almost feels like it won't fit into just one book. Somehow, the author was able to tell the entire story at once - but it didn't feel rushed and wasn't confusing for me as a reader. I thought it was the perfect pace to gain the desired effect of increasing tension, confusion, and fear. The story centers around main character Mike, as well as the mysterious Albuquerque Door, and the Fold that it creates. It talks of teleportation, several dimensions, and the greatly positive impact it's going to make in the world. We then learn that the Door is holding secrets - one that are dark and fill people with terror and fear. It's basically up to Mike to figure out what's really happening with the Door and the answer he comes up with could mean the end of the world as they know it.

When I read that this book was categorized as science fiction, I understood why that would be done just by reading the description. However, the further into the story I got, the more I found that it was only partly science fiction. It was also a blend of thriller, mystery, horror, and speculative fiction. I think that trying to put a label on this novel is pointless - it completely defies being put into a single genre and rightfully so. Again, I can't stress enough how completely unique and fully original this novel is. Because of this and the strange plot, not all readers will enjoy it as much as I did. But this is true of all books and to be expected. I honestly can't recommend this book highly enough! I believe it will appeal to fans of several genres; including fantasy, science fiction, mystery, thriller, and speculative fiction. If reading this review or any of the other reviews out there sparks an interest - then you need to read this book. Now. You won't regret it and just might find a new favorite for your shelf. I know that I'll be re-reading this book several times over and I'll catch something new each time.





Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the Blogging for Books Program in return for an honest review.



 

1 comment:

  1. You've completely sold me on this book, your review is fantastic! Love the sound of the unique plot and characters :D I love SF so this is even better!

    Aentee @ Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete