August 3, 2013

Review: Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece
Author: Kate Karyus Quinn
Genre: YA Paranormal/Thriller/Horror 
Release Date: June 11, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen

Description:

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.
 



Another Little Piece is a young adult novel that combines horror, mystery, paranormal elements, and thrills to create a masterpiece of fiction. The story tells the story of Annaliese Rose Gordon and how she is found after being missing for almost a year. She has no recollection of who she is, where she has been, or what happened to her while she was missing. The only thing that she is sure of is the fact that she is not Annaliese Rose Gordon. She's someone else entirely. Soon Annaliese begins to have strange visions of different girls from different times. She feels like she knows these girls somehow, but she just can't put the memories together. The only possession that she has that is uniquely hers is a razor with the names of eight girls carved into it. Once Annaliese's memories come back to her in full force, she discovers she is at the heart of a deadly cycle that has kept her repeating her mistakes continuously - unless she can finally piece together the rest of the mysteries of her past and stop the cycle for good.

This novel was like nothing else I have ever had the pleasure of reading before. I love really messed up and creepy books - and this one is definitely at the top of the list for me. I really didn't know what to expect when I picked it up, but suffice it to say that it far surpassed any hopes I had for it and then some. There were so many elements to the story that had me reeling from page to page. The plot was completely unique and original - there's nothing like it out there. The characters were all well written with distinct personalities and quirks - which definitely plays a big part in the book. The story line mixed so many genres together - horror, supernatural/paranormal elements, mystery, thriller, action, suspense - that you can't pin this book to one label. I literally read as fast as I could so I could find out what was going to happen next and to attempt to figure out what the hell was really happening. This book seriously had me mystified up until the very end - which is a true first for me. I rarely run into a mystery that I can't solve before the characters - but with this one, I met my match and lost. I could go on forever ranting and gushing about the sheer excellence of this novel. It definitely will not be for everyone. There are some really disturbing scenes in the story and I need to mention again how truly messed up this book is (in the best way possible!) - so those who don't like that type of fiction probably should read with caution. To those readers who share my love of all things creepy, messed up, dark, and twisted - READ THIS BOOK NOW. SERIOUSLY. I cannot recommend it highly enough and my review surely isn't doing it justice. AND - it was her debut! That completely blew me away when I found out. The writing was compelling and fast paced with vivid details and descriptions that had me feeling like I was experiencing everything right along with the characters. The author's immense talent is evident right from the start and her ability to create this alternate reality/world was ridiculously magnificent. Needless to say, I will be stalking this author and eagerly awaiting her next book.







ABSOLUTELY EPIC! A NEW ALL TIME FAVORITE!!




No comments:

Post a Comment